Fragapalooza 2011–Day 3

I sit here typing this, on the Sunday morning of Fragapalooza exhausted.  Saturday lived up to it’s billing and tradition, and was my favorite day of the event.  Many games were played, several random contests were had in the middle of the night, and I got as little sleep as I could possibly get away with. The games were fun, including some games that I haven’t played in a long time.  I played the staples, like Starcraft II and Team Fortress 2, but I also took part in an Unreal Tournament 2004, err, tournament.  I came nowhere near winning, but that was a fun couple hours.  I hadn’t played that much in about 5 years, so it was nice to go back and give it another spin.  Another game that falls squarely in the nostalgia factor was Age of Empires II, which was a game that came out in 1999.  I played that game with a few other people for almost 3 hours.  I remember that game being among my favorites from about 1999-2002, and it was a ton of fun playing again, even if all of us playing were pretty terrible at it.  We played humans against the computer, and got killed quite handily by the computer on our first attempt.  The second time went batter, but just barely.  I think that AOE2 is a game that I am going to play a bit more when I get home.  It may be old, but it’s still fun.

The best part of the day though, didn’t come until the wee hours of the morning.  Two staples of Fragapalooza were held around midnight: the paper airplane toss, and the rock-paper-scissors contest.  I didn’t participate in the paper airplane contest because, frankly, I suck at it, but I was stoked for rock-paper-scissors.  The winner of the paper airplane toss had one of the longest throws I’ve ever seen.  There were a couple other throws that in any other year would have won,but not this year.  I ‘m not sure who won at rock-paper-scissors, because I lost in the first round for the first time ever, so I left in bitterness after.  (ok, not really bitter, but I was mad at myself).

I actually didn’t play a single game after about 12:30.  Most of my time after that was spent doing the chatroom trivia, participating in the general chat (which gets really weird at about 2am on Saturday after everyone has had no sleep for 3 days), and doing the random contests throughout the night.  The random contests are my favorite part of Fragapalooza.  They involved everything from getting the license plate number of a specific vehicle in the parking lot, finding people hiding in the venue, finding hidden object, and bringing random things to the head table.  I won a few things, didn’t’ win a few things, but was just generally entertained by the entire night, especially watching people frantically looking for one specific person, who was hiding in plain sight behind me, as we made fun of him and told people what he looked like. (don’t’ worry, I made up for making fun of him by giving him a wunderbar after).  There was even a lap dance at 4:30 in the morning that I will not speak further of, as that is not a mental image I want to plant into anyone, and something that I cannot un-see.  Things finally started to die down after 4:30, and I went to sleep shortly after 5.  I could see the sun starting to come up as I headed towards my tent, which was an interesting feeling.

I sit here on Sunday morning both happy and sad that this is the last day of Fragapalooza.  I’m sad because the event has been a blast, and I’ve simply had a lot of fun here.  But I’m happy because I don’t think I could have kept this pace up much longer.  I’ve had progressively less sleep each night, and I’m looking forward to going home and going to sleep tonight.  Taking Monday off work as well was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

I’ll have a wrap-up of Fragapalooza probably tomorrow, but until then, there are still a few more games to play, and al of things to pack up.  but for now, let the last day of gaming commence.

Total hours of sleep at Fragapalooza 2011: 9