Fragapalooza 2010–Days 3 and 4

Sorry that I’m late on this, but after 4 straight days on a computer, I needed some time away.

Day 3 of Fragapalooza started much like I started day 2, with a swim at the pool. I didn’t swim quite as hard as I only slept for about 5 hours, but it still felt really nice and woke me up.  I’ve always been an early riser so I was able to swim for almost an hour, and still be back at the venue at my computer at about 10am.  the day started off kind of slow, because most people slept until around noon or so, but when it did pick up there were lots of games to be played.  I wasn’t very good at starcraft II when the weekend started, but I played it so much I had to get good at it, really quick. I’m not going to say I’m amazing at the game, because I’m not, but at least I wasn’t getting completely destroyed every game by the end of it.  I also played a whole bunch of Team Fortress 2, which I like to think I’m pretty good at. It’s an older game now so everyone there is pretty good at the game, and it made for some really good matches. I could have played that game for a long time.  With the event being a bit smaller than in past years, there are less “uncommon” games being played.  When there were 800 people attending every year, it was easy to find someone who wanted to play pretty much any game you could think of. It’s been a bit different the past couple of years, as mostly newer and popular games are what everyone is playing, and it’s much harder to find someone to play those older games.

The highlight of Day 3 was, as it was last year, the Rock Band Tournament.  I’m still working on uploading all the video I took, but needless to say it was pretty awesome.fragapalooza 2010 172

the scary looking staff band

After Rock Band I participated in an unofficial Team Fortress 2 tournament. We ended up making it to the final through the losers side, but were unable to pull out the victory. The tournament was fun, but I had to play a character I’m not *that* good at so I didn’t do as well as I would have liked.  Still it was fun to get involved in a tournament, even if it was just for fun.

The later parts of my evening I didn’t even game all that much.  I spent most of the time in the chat room for the participants, playing a trivia game. I didn’t intend to play it for that long but before I knew it 3 hours had passed by.

The last thing I did before going to bed was play in a track mania tournament. The staff set up probably the most insane track I’ve ever seen, and the person with the fastest time won.  It took me 20 mintues to complete the track on my first try, 15 on my second try, and the eventual winner was finished in it 9:30. Needless to say it was quite insane.

Sunday, the last day of fragapalooza, is always pretty quiet.  Everyone is tired, people tend to start packing up.  I played games for about 2 hours, and did a sommersault to win a case fan. There wasn’t a whole bunch to say about Sunday except for the closing ceremonies, and the final contest of the weekend, the wall sit.  In past years I’ve been pretty terrible at it, and this year I finished in the top 20 out of about 80 people that tried to win I’m impressed with myself, and hope to do better next year. 

fragapalooza 2010 201

the last competitors for the wall sit

I didn’t win any prizes in the closing ceremonies, for the 4th straight year, so that kind of sucks.  But the Fragapalooza staff did say one thing that made me very happy, after the difficulties last year and not knowing if we were even going to have an event, they were up front and said that they already can’t wait for Fragapalooza 2011. And you know what, neither can I.

This isn’t my last post about Fragapalooza, but I want to get all of my pictures and videos uploaded first, and then I’ll talk more about them.  I’m typing this on Wednesday afternoon and I feel like I’m still recovering from lack of sleep.