Fragapalooza 2010–Days 1 and 2

So, you didn’t get a blog post from me about day 1 of Fragapalooza simply because there was no way for me to do said blog.  Day 1 of Fragapalooza was plagued with power issues.  We actually had no power at all from 10:30pm on Thursday night until around 11am on Friday. And even then, it took about 3 hours to get every computer running.  It was not fun.  Put simply, through no fault of the event organizers there was not enough power for the number of computers here, and as more got turned on, there were outages.  Entire rows would lose power, shutting down the computers of up to 34 people at a time. There was even an outage that killed someone’s power supply on their computer. It was really neat, as I haven’t heard a pop like that before, nor have I seen a computer smoke quite like that.  Needless to say the first day was a bit of a bust. The organizers did what they could, including having a dodgeball game in the gym beside the soccer pitch we are on, but honestly, 300 people were here to play video games, and we had no power. It didn’t work out well. I want to stress though that the staff here at Fragapalooza did an amazing job in what was a very difficult situation. They got us power as soon as they could, did everything they could to keep us entertained and informed.  As much as people here have complained about not having any power for basically an entire day, I almost promise you that the staff feel even worse about it.  I was just happy that they were able to resolve the problem and get us back to gaming at a decent time.


This is what the event looked like on Thursday night. over 250 computers, all turned off, with no power.

As was mentioned, we didn’t get power on Friday, day 2, until about 11am.  Because of this, I actually went for a swim at the pool in the rec center where the event is located. I swam for about an hour, which was actually really nice, and made me feel really good to start the day. When I got back to the venue I was one of the lucky ones, my row was one of the first to get power, but there were not many people to play games with for a while, so I ended up playing a couple of online games of Starcraft II against people from somewhere until more people were online.  After about 1 pm though, things really started to kick into high gear.  Throughout the day I played a lot of Starcraft II, Team Fortress 2, and Alien Swarm. I finished off the night/morning with a game of Left 4 Dead 2.

There were also other events, such as the traditional rock-paper-scissors contest. This year there were 128 participants, I made it through the first 2 rounds, but lost in the 3rd, which is actually my worst result ever, so that was pretty disappointing. The gaming decathlon also started, which I failed to qualify for in another game of rock-paper-scissors. The gaming decathlon have 10 people face elimination challenges until a winner is declared. Each challenge eliminates 1 person, so there will be 10 challenges. The first challenge was playing an old game on a computer and seeing who got the highest score. The second was a paper airplane throwing contest, which I have a video of that I will post after the event. The last challenge of the night was forcing the participants to translate 7 lines of 1337 sp33k.  If you do not know what that is, I’m not going to explain it.

At the end of my night, which was about 4:30 in the morning, there were still quite a few people playing games.  And I must say, Day 2 was significantly better than day 1.


this picture was taken at 2:30am on Thursday night/Friday morning. Still going strong.

Now, I have one more quick post to write, then off to gaming!