Today was my day to participate in the Shaw customer discussions on Internet billing. It was a 2 hour session that turned into 3 hours, followed by coffee with a couple people. I will be posting a lot more about this in the coming days, but for tonight I just wanted to get out some quick bullet points.
- Overall I was impressed with the atmosphere and tone. The representatives from Shaw were talking to us, not at us, and welcomed discussions and questions
- There was a lot of discussions, but not many answers. For every question that was asked by an attendee, it seems that there was a question from a Shaw representative. I understand that this was to try to gather more ideas and information, but did get a tad frustrating.
- It really seems like Shaw does not know what the endgame here will be. The representative I spent most of my time talking to spoke at great length about how the customer backlash to the UBB plans was much more than they ever thought, and that it really did cause them to pause.
- The Shaw representatives did take a fair amount of notes, cataloging almost every idea that was tossed around. One employee collected all of the notes taken so they can be transcribed
- The general feeling in the room was very anti UBB, but I do think that more fair ideas were presented.
- The tone of most attendees was much less confrontational that I thought it would be, I think because the Shaw representatives were very open and willing to listen.
- After coming out of the meeting, I don’t know what the endgame to this entire process will be. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but for all the discussions I did not leave with many answers.
- the graphs were hilarious, and not in a good way.
there is a lot more to come. I took six pages of notes that I need to re-read and organize into something I can actually post here. I also have to filter out what I should, and am willing to post. I will try to get the full breakdown and insight into the discussions up as soon as possible, but it's after 11 and I need to go to sleep. On a personal note I’m getting a root canal Tuesday afternoon, so getting the post up Tuesday will be entirely dependent on how I feel and how medicated I am. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that.